Ends in 3 days, 16 hours
Dylan Thomas' Wales
Are you a writer who loves to travel? Join us this summer as we head to Wales to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Dylan Thomas' birth. Thomas, one of the 20th century's most famous poets and Wales' most celebrated writer, is best known for his literature of place, often conjuring images of vast seascapes, remote villages and eccentric urban life.
Immerse yourself in the literary landscape immortalized in his poetry and prose. This writing retreat, brought to you by the organizers of the Winter Poetry & Prose Getaway, will feature supportive workshops, socializing with local writers and excursions along the beautifully rugged coastline.
This award offers a $1,000 scholarship to a first-time participant in one of Murphy Writing’s international programs. The recipient will need to pay the remainder of the program fee, transportation to Swansea and personal expenses.
A panel of judges will review the submissions and make their selections based on a combination of merit and need. Applications will be accepted from Feb. 15 to Mar. 15, 2014. There is a $5 application fee to help offset the cost of administering the scholarship. Requirements:
- Be a first-time participant in one of Murphy Writing’s international programs who is 18 or over as of July 1, 2014.
- You do not need to be a US resident to apply, but you must be able to pay the associated fees in USD via a credit or debit card.
- Prepare a brief bio, a paragraph describing your financial need and a brief personal statement telling us why you would like to attend, each 150 words or less.
- Format a single document with 5 pages of poetry (one poem per page, single spaced) or 5 pages of prose (double spaced). It is up to you whether to submit published or unpublished piece(s). Excerpts of longer pieces are okay. Please note that if your submission exceeds 5 pages and/or does not meet the formatting guidelines, your application will not be able to be considered.
- Complete this online application with the files above and pay the $5 application fee, which is used to help administer the scholarship process.
- Please note: We are unable to accept snail mail applications.
- Deadline: Mar. 15, 2014.
- Scholarship recipients will be announced by Apr. 8, 2014 on www.murphywriting.com/wales.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I am a poet, but am looking to expand into nonfiction. Is it possible for me to send a writing sample of both? What do you suggest?
A: We can only consider one application per writer and recommend submitting your strongest work. It's just fine if you submit work in a different genre than you would like to write at the program; we hear from a number of writers who want to expand into a new genre and support it wholeheartedly.
Q: I would like to sign up for the program to ensure I get a seat. Is it still possible to apply for the scholarship and will I get a refund if I am selected?
A: Yes, you are absolutely welcome to apply as long as you meet the other requirements. The same Fine Print and Cancellation Policy applies regardless of whether you apply for a scholarship or not.
Q: Where can I find out more about the program?